The Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce recognizes that the use of natural resources is an important part of the life style and economy of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County. The Chamber supports the proposition that sound natural resource protection, utilization and management is good economic practice so long as the measures are balanced sensibly for all legitimate interests, the costs are borne equitably and will not unduly inhibit the vitality of the national, state and local economy.
Virginia and Federal Agency Administration, Procedures, Rule Making and Decision Making
- The Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce recognizes that government oversight of our natural resources and public health and safety is a valid government function, but it is a function that must be carried out balancing public benefit with ownership and resource rights of individuals and families.
- The Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber supports constructive partnerships between the regulated community and government entities of all levels in the administration of the environmental laws to streamline decision making, avoid redundancy and make the most efficient use of public resources and personnel.
- Agency decisions should be practical; consistent; predictable; considerate of economic impacts; and supported by legal authority and sound science. Legislative and regulatory decisions should be crafted and enforced in a way that protects the environment while fostering the ability of Virginia businesses to make and market their products and services in an economically viable, safe, , and environmentally sound way.
- Regulatory decisions, particularly those dealing with individual cases such as permits and variances, should be rendered as expeditiously as possible, consistent, and should be based upon clearly defined procedures that include requirements for articulating the basis for the decision.
- The Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber supports measures to promote and encourage participation in environmental decision making by all affected citizens, organizations and interests.
- The Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber supports policies and procedures that result in the development of regulations that are reasonable and technically well-founded, that are based upon the application of proper scientific principles, and that properly evaluate the relationship between the risks to be avoided, the benefits to be gained, and the costs to be incurred.
- The Chamber acknowledges and accepts the need for regulations where those are most appropriate but encourages flexibility in the application of regulatory policies.
- Supports both voluntary and incentive-based programs whenever they are feasible and effective.
- The Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce supports the development of sound energy policies, including new and existing energy sources. Appropriate regulations, guidelines and safeguards are necessary to promote innovative energy development and protect the natural and human resources of our community.